Antiferromagnets are prospective materials for spintronic applications as they show fast magnetic dynamics, low susceptibility to the magnetic fields and produce no stray fields. They have nontrivial magnetic structure, more magnetic degrees of freedoms and peculiar dynamics, as compared to ferromagnetic materials.
Application of antiferromagnets for information storage and development implies manipulation of states with the use of the magnetic fields or electrical currents. For this one needs to study the mechanisms that govern behaviour of antiferrantiferromagentic nanoparticles and textures in the presence of the external fields. My current reseach is focused on the problems of nonequilibrium magnetic dynamics of antiferromagnets induced by spin-orbit torques, temperature gradients, mechanical stresses etc. Strong magnetoelastic coupling, which is a peculiar feature of many antiferromagnetic materials, makes these problems more complicated and more facinating.
As a teacher I have a great experience in the field of quantum information theory and hope to find a way to use antiferromagnets as the active elements of quantum bits.
- “Concepts of antiferromagnetic spintronics”. O. Gomonay, T. Jungwirth, and J. Sinova (Phys. stat. sol. 11, 1700022 (2017))
- "Manipulating antiferromagnets with magnetic fields: Ratchet motion of multiple domain walls induced by asymmetric field pulses".O. Gomonay, M. Kläui, and J. Sinova (Appl. Phys. Lett. 109, 142404 (2016))
- “High Antiferromagnetic Domain Wall Velocity Induced by Néel Spin-Orbit Torques”. O. Gomonay, T. Jungwirth, and J. Sinova (Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 017202 (2016))
- “Controlling the switching field in nanomagnets by means of domain-engineered antiferromagnets”. E. Folven, J. Linder, O. V. Gomonay, A. Scholl, A. Doran, A. T. Young, S. T. Retterer, V. K. Malik, T. Tybell, Y. Takamura, J. K. Grepstad (Phys. Rev B 92, 094421 (2015))
- “Berry-phase effects and electronic dynamics in noncollinear antiferromagnetic texture”.O. V. Gomonay (Phys. Rev B 91, 144421 (2015))
- "Shape-induced anisotropy in antiferromagnetic nanoparticles".O.V. Gomonay, S. Kondovych, and V.M. Loktev (J. Mag. Mag. Mat. 354C , 125 (2014))
- Spintronics of antiferromagnetic systems (Review article). O. V. Gomonay and V.M. Loktev. (Low Temperature Physics, 40, 17 (2014))
- Spin transfer and current-induced switching in antiferromagnets. O. V. Gomonay and V. M. Loktev (Phys. Rev. B , 81, 144427 (2010))
- Homodyne detection for atmosphere channels. A.A. Semenov, F. Töppel, D. Yu. Vasylyev, H. V. Gomonay, and W. Vogel. (Phys. Rev. A , 85, 013826 (2012))
Awards & Fellowships
- State prize of Ukraine in science and technologies "Functional properties of the bulk and surface ordered systems and fabrication of new metal-containing materials and structures" (2015)
- Grants from the International Science Foundation (ISF) and American Physical Society (1992,1994, 1995, 1998)